Archive for the ‘Venison Chili’ Category
I love chili, and I love trying new recipes. I also love every recipe I’ve ever made from on of Suzanne Somers Somersize line of books. When I follow her eating plan, I feel great. I don’t always follow the plan, but I think it’s a good one. This chili recipe came from the Fast & Easy.
Twenty-minute chili (with Venison)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 lbs venison, ground
- 28 ounce tomatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 14 ounce chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano, ground
1. Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onion and cook until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
3. Add ground venison and cook with the onion mixture until browned and almost cooked through.
4. Add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
5. Add wine to boiling mixture and cook 2 minutes, until the alcohol is cooked out.
6. Add chicken broth, parsley, salt, pepper, and spices. Cook five minutes more.
7. Serve with grated swiss or cheddar cheese and sour cream.
My friend who is currently at the Air Force War College gave me a wonderful Christmas gift: a copy of the War College annual cookbook, which contains hundreds of recipes submitted by the students and their spouses. It’s an amazing cookbook.
The first thing I tried was one of the White Chili recipes. I modified it a bit, of course (cuz that’s what I do). It was so good. It makes a lot, but didn’t last too long in our house.
Then I made the mistake of running it through the nutrition calculator. 608 calories per 1 1/4 cup serving isn’t bad, is it? Oh well…it’s worth it!
Recipe: White Venison Chili
- 1 lb venison, chopped into cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 oz canned diced jalapeno peppers
- 4 oz canned chopped green chili peppers
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 14 oz venison or chicken broth
- 3 15-oz cans white beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Sour cream
- Brown the venison and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender.
- Mix in the garlic, jalapeno, green chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.
- Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about three minutes.
- Mix in the broth, venison, white beans, and corn. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
This is great with blue corn tortilla chips. And the kids say I have to warn every one that itâ€™s really spicy.
Cooking time (duration): 20
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.