Archive for the ‘Vension Stews’ Category
Did you know there is a World Championship Pumpkin Chunking competition? And that Discovery Channel airs it on Thanksgiving (8:00 p.m.)? I didnâ€™t know this until a few weeks ago when Rick learned about it while researching something or another. You can see pictures and learn more at the web site, punkinchunkin.org. Not only did I discover the existence of a sporting event where adults build siege weapons and launch squash, I went to it this weekend.
What a blast. Literally. Pumpkins flying out of cannons and everything. The crowds going crazy for all the competitors, thrilled when the pumpkin soars, sad when it fails to launch.
We ended the day with visions of homemade trebuchets in Rickâ€™s head and visions of pumpkin savories and sweets in mine (I was troubled by the amount of perfectly delicious pumpkin that is wasted at this event, but they use a tough Australian variety that Iâ€™ve decided is inedibleâ€¦based on absolutely no evidence at all).
Fortunately, I have a ton of pumpkin in my freezer still, just waiting to be transformed into something delicious. Starting with Venison and Pumpkin Stew. Read the rest of this entry »
When the air gets crisp and I start feeling the urge to hunker down in my comfys all night, I start craving hearty stews. But I don’t always want potatoes and carrots in my stew; to me that gets kind of boring after a while. Besides, in my area, the farmer’s markets are brimming with fresh local apples and a variety of squashes. Oh how I love butternut squash! Read the rest of this entry »
I love venison stew and I love Tex-Mex recipes. I also love easy meals on cold winter nights when I’m too tired to cook. This stew takes just about 1/2 hour from start to finish, and it’s delicious. It’s creamy with just a little spice; a great way to cook venison stew meat!
Recipe: Venison Corn Chowder Stew
Summary: a Tex-Mex venison stew for the whole family
- 1 lb venison stew meat, cubed
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can chili beans (medium)
- 1 cup salsa verde (medium)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a stock pot, brown the venison lightly in the cooking oil, remove the meat to a bowl and set meat aside.
- Over medium heat, add the green pepper to the stock pot and saute until tender.
- Add the corn, cream of chicken soup, beans, and salsa and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the venison and simmer for another 10 minutes, until meat is cooked, but still tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, milk, and salt.
- Serve immediately with sour cream and tortilla chips.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Microformatting by hRecipe.
I want two things on cold winter nights: venison stew and dinner served fast. This easy venison stew does both. From start to finish, it takes about 30 minutes. And it is so good!