If you love store-brought picante sauce with your chips, this salsa recipe is very close. The tomato sauce and tomato paste give the picante sauce that rich tomato flavor. Picante sauce is more “saucy” than Pico de Gallo with much more tomato. This recipe is mild, so just add more jalapeno or habanero sauce if you need more kick!
Recipe: Susanâ€™s Chunky Picante Sauce
Summary: a rich and thick salsa
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili habanero sauce (for mild salsa)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, lemon juice and pepper and then stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
This is best made a day in advance so that the flavors can merge together.
Cooking time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3 cups
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Copyright Â© Copyright Susan Rose.
Recipe by Susan Rose.
Microformatting by hRecipe.