Pot pie is such a great comfort food. This one is a little different than the traditional gravy-based pot-pie…there is no gravy! The liquid smoke in this recipe gives the filling its nice, comforting flavor.
Recipe: Hickory Flavored Venison Pot Pie
- 1 1/2 lbs ground venison
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped fine
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots, chopped into
- 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 russet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 can vegetable stock (about 14 oz)
- 4 drops of liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Brown the meat in olive oil and set aside.
- Put onion in skillet used for the meat and caramelize the onion.
- Add all other ingredients to the onions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Prepare pie crusts in 6 individual pot pie containers.
- Drain excess liquid out of filling and spoon filling into pot pie containers.
- Cover with extra dough.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Cooking time (duration): 45
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Microformatting by hRecipe.