Buy “The Hunting Widow’s Guide to Great Venison Cooking” today~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I’ve been experimenting with venison jerky recipes. I don’t care for the traditional flavors of jerky, so I’m adding my own seasoning blends. Because venison meat works so well with Mediterranean flavors, I thought I’d use the spice blend I use for Shwarma. The result is a sweet and spice venison jerky. It’s almost like eating dessert. I really love it! I use my dehydrator to make the deer jerky, but you could use your oven too. If you want to smoke it, omit the liquid smoke from the recipe.
Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Venison Jerky
- 2 pounds boneless venison round roast, sliced into Â¼ wide strips
- 4 cups venison broth
- 2 tablespoons Frontier 5 spice powder
- 2 tablespoons meat tenderizer
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except the venison. Mix until the spices are dissolved as completely as possible.
- Put the venison strips in a bowl and cover with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and marinate overnight (about 12 hours) in the refrigerator.
- Place the venison on dehydrator sheets.
- Dehydrate at 155Ëš for about 8 hours, until jerky is dry, but not brittle. Time will depend on how thick the meat slices are.
Frontier Five Spice Powder is a blend of Cinnamon, fennel, cloves, star anise, and white pepper. If you canâ€™t find Frontier or a similar blend, you can just add these spices. Iâ€™m not sure what the ratio used in the blend is, but the Cinnamon and clove flavors are very dominant.
Cooking time (duration): 10
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: snack
Microformatting by hRecipe.