Buy “The Hunting Widow’s Guide to Great Venison Cooking” today~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sometimes cleaning out the freezer yields happy surprises. Yesterday I pulled out a 1/2 pound of venison chorizo that I made several months ago. Alone it wasn’t enough to feed the family, so I set to work concocting something yummy. The result was an almost paellaâ€”everything but the saffron (only because I don’t have any). The kids devoured it. In fact, the reason the photo is light on the venison is because Anwen picked all the chorizo out of the skillet before I could take a picture. Enjoy!
Recipe: Venison Chorizo and Shrimp Paella
Summary: A hearty and flavorful rice dish the family will love.
- 2 cups brown rice
- Â½ pound venison chorizo rolled into Â½ balls
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium mild pepper, chopped finely
- 2 small tomatillos, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped finely
- 1 Â½ pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and cut into Â½ pieces
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Â½ tsp black pepper
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chorizo balls and brown, turning to cook on all side.
- When the chorizo is cooked through, set aside on a plate.
- Skim any large pieces of fat out of the oil. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and saute until tender. Add the tomatoes and tomatillos and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice, chorizo, raw shrimp, oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir thoroughly and cover.
- Keep covered until the shrimp are cooked throughâ€”theyâ€™ll be pink and tender.
- Taste and add salt or pepper as needed.
You can use whatever size shrimp looks good at the market. If you use smaller shrimp, just don’t chop them up.
You can use any kind of spicy sausage for this. But do be sure to use a spicy sausage, otherwise the dish will be bland.
Cooking time (duration): 15
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Copyright Â© Copyright Susan Rose.
Recipe by Susan Rose.
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Other Posts You May Enjoy: