A good Italian Meat Sauce recipe is a must for any cook. Make a huge batch and freeze it for quick and easy dinners all winter long. The red wine in this one gives it a richer flavor than you’ll find in jarred sauces.
Recipe: Venison Meat Sauce
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how much garlic you like)
- 1 Â½ to 2 lbs ground venison
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can plain tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- Â½ cup red wine
- 1 tbs dried basil
- Â¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Â¼ tsp oregano
- 3 tbs dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil and sautÃ© the onions until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and sautÃ© another minute. A
- dd the ground meat and paprika and cook until meat is browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 to 4 hours (the sauce is ready to eat after 1 hour, but will be better the longer it simmers).
I usually make double batches of this and freeze it. It is wonderful to have on hand for a quick lasagna in the winter, or even just good old spaghetti.
Cooking time (duration): 1 to 4 hours
Culinary tradition: Italian
Microformatting by hRecipe.